Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Need Help Abusive Environment?

I need advice on how to deal with my life. I am a straight A, award winning athlete, and am attending Michigan State University in the fall, and have an IQ of 136. I don't do drugs or drink and have received awards from the community and never been in legal trouble. Not even five minutes ago I just listened to my parents tell me all the reasons why I am going to fail at life and end up in prison. They said I wouldn't have gotten into college if it wasn't for my dad (he happens to be a State Representative). I got into every single in and out of state college I applied to with a total of about $20,000 in various scholarships. They also say they've only seen me in the newspaper twice for my athletic accomplishments so apparently im a mediocre athlete. I have basically been the family punching bag. Im the oldest in the family both my parents hold advanced degrees. All they do is cheapen everything ive accomplished and say I have an explosive temper and its gonna get me trouble and im gonna shoot up MSU eventually. The reason they believe this is because I raise my voice when Im angry. I dont scream or throw a tantrum. I am very much in control, and believe it is a better to express my feelings this way then do what my family claims is the healthy thing to do which essentially is bottling up your emotions. This is what they do and as a result I have been hit in the head with a guitar, broom, punched in the face, stomach and everywhere else numerous times. And im lucky I know Krav Maga (form of self defense) because once my lil brother came at me with a kitchen knife. Now what I did to piss him off was pick up his guitar to borrow it because I thought there was possibly something wrong with mine or my amp. Now they constantly get off on what my brother has done: skipped a grade (I had an option but didnt want to), and scored a 30 on the ACT. These are the only two things he has done that didn't (again had the option but declined and best I could muster on the ACT was a mere 25 but a 1950 on the SAT). My parents take no interest in my life I virtually have been raising myself (I think I did a good job also am very social which is a surprise to me because normally in situations like this I would be pretty anti social) while my brother has been coddled all his life. I keep trying to tell myself boy are they gonna be sorry when I make it and he can't stand on his own because of how easy hes had it. I am scared of very few things (plan on climbing Everest (yes im serious love mountains), travel the world, spend time researching in the Artic Circle while working on my bachelor degree) but as a result of the treatment I have received I have noticed I am absolutely terrified of failure. Now they always respond to me I have it easy all my needs and most wants are met but still I can't seem to get them to realize this doesnt equal good parenting but honestly if it wasn't for some of my things I may have killed myself. Now I have never or plan to attempt it I am strictly stating from a hypothetical standpoint that if it wasn't for some things and my amazing friends things may have been very grim for me. Now I realize I will probably never have them treat me like I want them to. I realize this fall when I move out things will probably be better so I just need to survive until then. Also my some friends at school who don't really know my situation keep telling how great I have it. Now my question is would what im describing constitute abuse? Can you still be abused if you get most things you ask for eventually? My parents don't drink and are very well known members of my community this honestly makes me physically ill they put on this front in front of other people and it is just disgusting. The one thing I am happy about though is that through all this I feel I have come out emotionally healthy. I feel l could have become either excessively needy or emotionally closed off but I feel even though I do have some issues with those two problems I am dealing with them and found a decent balance. But what upsets me the most is I want what my brother has more than anything and I realize im prolly not gonna get it, and either consciously or not I am constantly searching for where I went wrong. I think I just need to get out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment